Well it is here, I can finally say it: Hello Summer! I just got back from an incredible vacation in Kelowna, BC where I got to visit my family. It was nine days of much appreciated rest and relaxation. In fact, it was the first time since we got married almost a year ago that Bryce and I had more than one day off to spend together. Over the past eleven months, both of us have been completely booked with school, work and responsibilities. It was almost strange to have so much free time to spend together, but we definitely made the most of it! I wish I could go back again to visit this summer, but it looks like the next few months will be just as busy as the past eleven, so onward we go.
This recipe was created several weeks ago and it got me through the final two weeks of my teaching practicum. I was really getting bored of soups, sandwiches and green salads for my lunch, but this salad mixture was really refreshing! I made a huge bowl of it two weeks in a row and brought it for lunch almost everyday. It’s super easy to make and versatile. You could easily substitute ingredients depending on what you have on hand. The other thing I love about this salad is how colorful it is! I would pull out a container of this for my lunch and it was instant happiness. How can you not smile when you see the bright yellow, green and red mixture? I guess you have to love food as much as I do for that effect. Anyways, I hope you make time this summer to toss together this delicious salad and enjoy it in the sunshine!
For the salad:
- 3 ears of fresh, cooked corn (kernels scraped from the cobs with a sharp knife) about 2 3/4 cup
- 4 cucumbers, diced
- 1 red sweet pepper, diced
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 handfull of fresh dill (about 6 sprigs), minced
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- crumbled Feta cheese, rinsed, as a garnish
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup buttermilk (I just used regular milk and added a tsp of vinegar to curdle it)
- 2/3 cups plain European style thin yogurt, stirred
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl break apart the corn kernels lightly and the remaining salad ingredients then toss again to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the buttermilk, vinegar, onion, yogurt, and garlic and whisk to combine. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking, until amalgamated.
- Garnish with feta and serve!
*adapted from http://food52.com/recipes/12928-dilled-crunchy-sweet-corn-salad-with-buttermilk-dressing